Lighting solutions have come a long way from the humble and ubiquitous candle. Looking back, Italian physicist Alessandro Volta’s (1745–1827) provided contributions to power and electricity, enabling a future move from chemical lighting to electrical lighting. British chemist Humphrey Davy (1778–1829) would develop a wick lamp with a mesh screen, providing coal miners with the first safety lamp (1815). American inventor Thomas Edison (1847–1931) would invent an early version of the light bulb, and Joseph Swan (1828–1914) would successfully develop the incandescent light bulb. And now, light-emitting diodes (LEDs) have dramatically changed the lighting landscape bringing new developments and ushering in recent trends (Figure 1).
Amphenol Lighting Solutions
Though I am not a genius like many of these men, I am a subject matter expert in LED lighting solutions. I recently connected with my friend and colleague, Scott Kleinle, a General Manager at Amphenol. Scott and I got to sit down and discuss the latest technology trends in indoor and outdoor lighting solutions. This blog will share with you some of those lighting solutions trends.
Amphenol Communications Solutions, a division of Amphenol, is a world leader providing interconnect solutions for diverse applications, including server, storage, data center, networking, industrial, lighting, medical, business equipment, and automotive markets.
As a leading interconnect supplier, Amphenol Communications Solutions has focused on lighting solutions for the following market trends.
- Offering a broad portfolio of Lighting Solutions
- Street and Roadway
- Designing to Standards to ensure a continuity of supply
- IP66 National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA)/American National Standards Institute (ANSI) C136.41-2013 Solutions, which defines dimming receptacles for roadway lighting systems.
- IP66 Zhaga Book 18 Digital Addressable Lighting Interface (DALI) Interface to Sensors and Communication Modules.
- Dimming/Sensor Functionality – LED Roadway Luminaires for Smart City Applications
- Providing dimming and sensor functionality to LED Roadway luminaires and for smart city applications.
- RoHS compliant per EU directive 2011/65/EU and amendments.
- These connectors provide “smart” functionality to control light operation (dimming).
- They also offer additional sensing of traffic and pedestrians for safety and energy control.
- Designing for Indoor Standards.
- Amphenol FLM Zhaga Book 20 Dali Interface Connectors are DALI interface connectors for indoor luminaires. The FLM series is compliant with Zhaga Book 20, which specifies two-position connectors identified as Luminaire Extension Module Receptacles (LEX-MR) and Luminaire Plugs (LEX-LP), used for DALI-2 (Digital Addressable Lighting Interface) applications. DALI-2 is a smart interface protocol between indoor luminaires and sensors and communication modules. Amphenol standardized Book 20 FLM series connectors allow modules to connect to the LED driver and control system. The modules can be easily field serviced and replaced when necessary.
- Designing for Outdoor Standards.
- Amphenol FLH Mini-Sealed 2.5mm Pitch Connectors feature a compact design and easy installation. These connectors offer wire-to-wire IP67 sealing in mated conditions and high-current design options up to 8A with an 18AWG wire gauge. The FLH series includes a connector system with header and receptacle counterparts, enabling design flexibility while meeting power expectations. Amphenol FLH Mini-Sealed 2.5mm Pitch Connectors are waterproof for harsh environments. Typical applications include industrial, lighting, HVAC, and smart homes.
- Amphenol MRD Rugged Circular Locking Connectors are 2-, 3-, and 4-position IP67 connectors designed for harsh industrial connectors. Amphenol MRD Rugged Circular Locking Connectors feature housing options, including all-plastic constructions and metal-locking bodies for increased durability. Locking options include 1/3-turn bayonet as well as quick-release metal latches. Panel mount and cable termination options are available with or without finger-proof protection. The series offers a current rating of up to 10A and operates over a -55°C to +105°C temperature range.
LED designers do not need to burn the candle at both ends, as you can clearly see. Amphenol Lighting Solutions can simplify your lighting design for indoor, outdoor, and street and roadway lighting applications. Do not get left in the dark. Click here to view the joint Mouser and Amphenol Plugged In Lighting Solutions video where Scott and I discuss this topic.
Source: Mouser Electronics